PennWell Dental Group

PennWell Dental Community

Hello everyone....I have been very curious about dental loupes and wondered if any hygienists currently use them. Do they really help that much? I tried on a colleague's pair and they felt really heavy. Any recommendations for brands or types?

Views: 27

Replies to This Discussion

Hi there,

No I have not used loupes and should have. I have been a dental hygienist for close to 2 decades and have done some serious damage to my neck. If I could do it all over again, I would use loupes. I will likely retire in the next frew years so it is a bit late for me. But...the proof is in the pudding and research, such as that by Dr. Susanne Sunell from UBC, is there for the reading.

As for what to do now, I should also mention that, after the fact and because of the problems with my neck, I have begun to use the Tempurpedic pillow. It has changed my life. I can now get through a day at the office without taking pain meds. I sleep like a baby and feel such an improvement. Hopefully, people will begin to use loupes regularly and that it will be required at the dental hygiene schools to avoid such problems. If you are in pain now, try the pillow.

Katherine Keates
www.oralhealthforall.com
Katherine, as you became aware of the possibilities associated with loupes, what held you back from considering them? Was it the cost? The "new" chairside position of how to sit?
It was the cost, Mark. Single mom, working part time. Youth and invincibility were also factors I suppose...lol
I am fifty-five and have worn loupes since they were available. I do not have any of the usual problems we have after thirty six continual years of hygiene. since I have been riding for years, my position in the saddle is similar to being at 12:00 behind a patient..it keeps my core muscles strong and pain free

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service